Learning & Teaching
At Kerrimuir Primary School, we believe that the educational focus needs to be on academic engagement, personal achievement with a growth mindset delivered through a curriculum that relates to the real world.
We believe that students achieve their best when:
- Personal goals and successes are recognised, acknowledged and celebrated.
- They experience a sense of connectedness and belonging within the school community.
- Respectful relationships are created, fostered and nurtured.
- Learning is meaningful and connected to real life experiences of students.
- They are encouraged to form and express opinions and ideas based on information learnt.
- The curriculum encourages the development and use of problem solving skills, allowing students to solve specific, realistic, practical or hypothetical problems.
- They are challenged and motivated to manipulate information and ideas through the use of higher-order thinking.
- The curriculum is learner-centered and the children are encouraged to be active, responsible, and independent.
- They are encouraged to take risks and ‘think outside of the box’ in a climate of mutual respect and support.
- Teachers convey high expectations for all students and are explicit in communicating these expectations.
- A variety of teaching and learning strategies, styles and approaches are used to meet the learning needs of the students.
- They are expected to use technology to support and enrich their learning.